Sunday 20 July 2014

C2C - Day 12

I wrote this at the end of day 12 but didn't get a chance to post it - seemed a shame to waste it!

Thu 17th - Blakey Ridge to Grosmont (Day 12)

14ml, 6h 45m

I was still feeling worn out after yesterday's 20 mile leg. As we set off down the road I tried to keep up with the front group but my legs didn't want to know! So I walked at the back with Liz and Pauline.

After a few miles of road walking we joined a track across heather moorland. The sun was out again and it was very warm. With conditions like this I have been very glad of my Camelbak so that I have enough water every day. The front of the group were quite a way ahead by this time and I was still towards the back.

The route took us to Glaisedale where most of the group too advantage of a tea shop. Then on through the village to Beggar's Bridge and Arncliffe Woods until we eventually arrived at Egton Bridge. After a lunch stop beside the river (lunch Mk 2) we made our way along the old toll road through the Egton estate and eventually arrived at Grosmont. I had regained some energy by this time but was still feeling very tired.

We had booked a table at the Station Tavern and a very noisy meal it was too. I think an 'end of term' feeling had already started to make itself known. A Frenchman called Jean-Luc has been walking the C2C alone at the same time as us and our group has become friendly with him. So Jean-Luc joined us for our meal as an honorary member of the group.

Various national anthems were sung and rather than complaining the people in the other bar complimented the group on their singing!

No comments:

Post a Comment